Job Description and Online Application
The Disability Law Center (DLC) has an immediate opening for a permanent, full-time Intake Specialist. DLC is the federally mandated Protection and Advocacy agency for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Position: Bilingual – Intake Specialist
Reports To: Intake Unit Managing Attorney
Location: Remote or DLC Boston office (post-COVID restrictions)
Wage Class: Non-Exempt
Union Classification: Eligible
The Intake Specialist conducts telephone and in person interviews (Post-COVID restrictions) of people seeking DLC services; assesses calls to ensure that potential cases meet DLC’s priority eligibility criteria; provides callers with self-advocacy information, and refers non-eligible cases to other legal service and advocacy providers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Handles initial processing of intake that is received by phone, in person (Post-COVID restrictions), or by written correspondence, using DLC’s database system to complete intake.
- Provides appropriate information, materials, and referral to all contacts whose request for assistance or representation are not accepted, as documented by correct recording on intake forms.
- Identifies clients / complaints eligible for legal representation within DLC priorities.
- Presents information at case review meetings for consideration of whether to investigate the complaint for possible client representation. When needed, obtains additional information as directed by staff at case review meeting. Prepares correspondence informing callers of outcome of case review meetings.
- Maintains resource files with current information on the legal rights of and advocacy resources for people with disabilities.
- Maintains intake files and data as required by DLC; prepare reports as required by DLC.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: sociology, psychology, social work, or other related fields; OR A minimum of four (4) years of experience in a human services area, with at least three (2) years of direct experience working with individuals with disabilities; OR a comparable combination of educational and work experience.
- Bilingual communication skills (ASL, French/French Creole, Portuguese/Portuguese Creole, Standard Mandarin, or Spanish/Spanish Creole).
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interview persons and analyze oral and written information and client records.
- Ability to drive or ability to use public transportation (Up to 5% Travel – Post COVID – for community events).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and database entry.
- Ability to work under pressure handle challenging calls, and appropriately accommodate all callers.
The following attributes are a significant plus:
- Knowledge about or demonstrated awareness of problems experienced by persons with disabilities.
- Demonstrated functional knowledge of complex state and federal rights protection statutes.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $42,300 – $53,100
DLC has a very generous benefits package. For details, please visit:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following materials in Microsoft Word format on the form below.
- Cover Letter.
- Resume, including 3 references.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION MISSION STATEMENT
DLC is committed to protecting the fundamental human rights of its clients by providing zealous advocacy and excellent representation. In fulfilling our mission, DLC is committed to fostering diversity at all levels of the agency. We are dedicated to understanding our clients’ diverse circumstances and meeting their needs. We are also committed to maintaining an inclusive environment that supports success and the well-being of all of our staff. DLC’s leadership is responsible for ensuring diversity, inclusion, and equity. Individuals with disabilities and individuals from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this position description is to serve as a general summary and overview of the major duties and responsibilities of the job. It is not intended to represent the entirety of the job nor is it intended to be all–inclusive. Management reserves the right to modify, or rescind, this position description at any time, with or without prior notice.