Call for Assistance: 800 872-9992 617 723-8455
Most of DLC’s work is systemic and focuses on investigating allegations of abuse and/or neglect where people with disabilities live or receive services. We do not provide individual legal representation to most people who call our office. We have limited resources and can only take the cases that we believe have the potential to create systemic change and impact as many people with disabilities as possible. Below are the types of cases we will consider taking (based on resources) for individual representation:
Human Rights Issues
- Abuse and Neglect and Serious and systemic violations of human rights of individuals with mental health disabilities residing in facilities and individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Person who is Deaf/Hard of Hearing encounters barriers related to communication access when interacting with law enforcement
- Students with disabilities currently receiving SSI/SSDI and in need of an accommodation within their academic environment
- Abuse and Neglect and Serious and systemic violations of human rights of students with disabilities in school facilities (for example: restraint and seclusion OR allegations of physical, emotional, or sexual abuse of students in educational environments (whether residential or not))
- Work related overpayment from SSA
- Beneficiaries of SSI/SSDI who are experiencing discrimination based on their disability at work
Housing Issues (within the United Way Service Area)
- Reasonable Accommodations
- Disability-related evictions
- Subsidy termination for disability-related reasons
Health Care Issues
- Access to effective communication in health care setting
- Voting issues related to disability
Victim of Crime Issues
- Community Inclusion
- Health Care
- Human Rights
- Public Accommodation
- Human Rights
- Public Accommodation
We encourage you to call us. Even if we cannot take your case, it is important that DLC (as the Protection and Advocacy agency) is aware of the problems people with disabilities are facing throughout the Commonwealth.
What Happens When You Call DLC With a Question or Problem?
- DLC is open for new calls on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm. On these days, you can speak with a member of our Front Desk staff. Please press 0 to speak with our Front Desk staff. If you are not calling on one of these days, please leave a message and we will get back to you within one or two business days. You can fill out an online intake form at any time at https://www.dlc-ma.org/online-intake-form/
- A support staff member will gather your contact information and ask you to briefly describe your question or problem. Based on the information you give, you may be given a referral to another organization or you may be added to a call back list to speak with one of DLC’s Intake Specialists.
- An Intake Specialist will contact you and ask you to describe your question or legal problem in detail.
- The Intake Specialist will consult with an attorney to review your issue.
- If we are able to assist you, an attorney will be assigned to your case. If we are not able to assist you, we will provide you with referrals to organizations and private fare attorneys who may be able to help you.
There are certain types of cases we cannot take because of the requirements of our funders. These are:
- Applications or appeals for Social Security or disability benefits (such as SSI or SSDI)
- Consumer protection or product liability cases
- Criminal, probation or parole
- Family Law (divorce, custody, support, and other family law matters)
- Pension, ERISA issues
- Personal injury
- Property disputes
- Short term and/or long term disability insurance
- Tax issues
- Wills, trusts, and estate planning
- Workers’ compensation issues