Job Description and Online Application
Position: Investigator – Representative Payee Program
Reports To: Director of Advocacy
Wage Class: Exempt
DLC seeks a detail-oriented investigator who is committed to the rights of people with disabilities living in the community and in institutional settings; who possesses strong interpersonal skills to interview people with disabilities, providers and family members in the community; and, who is able to work with financial data and written procedures to assure that people with disabilities are protected from exploitation or financial mismanagement.
The general responsibility of the Investigator is to conduct reviews of Social Security Administration Representative Payees. This includes interviewing beneficiaries and Representative Payees, documenting observations, reviewing financial records, identifying possible health or safety violations and drafting reports. The position also includes educating Representative Payees to ensure that they fully understand their duties and responsibilities.
The Social Security Administration appoints Representative Payees for Social Security beneficiaries who SSA has determined are incapable of managing their own funds.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct site reviews, investigations and educational visits with individual and organizational representative payees throughout the state, following strict timelines and site visit procedures.
- Interview representative payees, beneficiaries, and others, in a variety of settings including private homes and institutions.
- Examine financial records and document observations to assess violations or potential incidents of mismanagement of beneficiary funds.
- Verify representative payees are using SSA benefits properly on behalf of beneficiaries, as well as correctly executing all other representative payee duties.
- Prepare comprehensive reports detailing the investigation, findings, and recommendations.
- Develop corrective action plans to assist representative payees in conforming to requirements specified by the Social Security Administration Commissioner.
- Develop training and education materials and conduct training and outreach activities following SSA protocols, as needed.
- Analyze trends and data from investigations and monitoring activities to determine if they present systemic issues which may be appropriate for DLC to address, and, with the Rep Payee Manager, formulate strategies for their prevention, reduction or elimination.
- Manage caseload in a timely manner, following all Social Security guidelines regarding procedural steps and deadlines.
- Attend meetings of consumer groups, service providers, and other appropriate bodes as requested.
- Document activities in accordance with agency policies.
- Perform other duties, as required.
- Successful completion of government clearance by the United States Government Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is required for this position. Clearance must be completed/obtained within the first 3 months of hire. In addition, continued eligibility for government clearance by OPM is required.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field associated with providing services or assistance to vulnerable communities.
- A minimum of five years of demonstrated experience working with people with disabilities or other vulnerable communities.
- Functional knowledge in basic financial record keeping using basic accounting principles.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Basic computer skills, including word processing and databases.
- Experience performing complex assignments, prioritizing multiple tasks, meeting deadlines, working well under pressure, and maintaining confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently and in a team environment.
- Reliable transportation, current liability insurance, and the ability to significantly travel throughout Massachusetts and out of state to perform assigned job tasks.
- Prior experience conducting investigations such as site visits, compliance audits or other regulatory matters, especially involving individuals with disabilities, or interviewing or working with individuals with various disabilities, highly preferred.
- Knowledge of the Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income Programs, especially the representative payee program, highly preferred.
- Bilingual fluency in another language and/or American Sign Language (ASL).
An Investigator will use a personal computer approximately 2-4 hours per day and will spend approximately 2-4 hours per day in meetings with individuals and groups. This position will require sitting for approximately 4-6 hours/day. The employee will be required to work under time constraints; deadlines; and will be required to address complex issues and conflicts as they arise. Frequent local travel is required – 50%+.
The starting range for these positions are: $49,800 – $55,800
DLC has a very generous benefits package. For details, please visit: Careers at DLC
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload the following materials in Microsoft Word format on the form below:
- Cover Letter, which must indicate: a) your personal and professional motivation for seeking this position; b) a discussion of how you meet each of the minimum qualifications and any of the desired attributes for this position; and, c) willingness to complete the required SSA suitability clearance background investigation or if a current clearance exists.
- Resume, including 3 references.
All applications will be kept confidential.
Positions will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION MISSION STATEMENT
DLC is committed to protecting the fundamental human rights of its clients by providing zealous advocacy and excellent representation. In fulfilling our mission, DLC is committed to fostering diversity at all levels of the agency. We are dedicated to understanding our clients’ diverse circumstances and meeting their needs. We are also committed to maintaining an inclusive environment that supports success and the well-being of all of our staff. DLC’s leadership is responsible for ensuring diversity, inclusion, and equity. Individuals with disabilities and individuals from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this position description is to serve as a general summary and overview of the major duties and responsibilities of the job. It is not intended to represent the entirety of the job nor is it intended to be all-inclusive. Management reserves the right to modify, or rescind, this position description at any time, with or without prior notice.